the jazz authority; random dubiously zappy rants about 'the musicians music'.: End of Summer Woes

Friday, September 02, 2005

End of Summer Woes

Q: Why can't vocalists get through a door?
A: They either can't find the key, or don't know where to come in.


Well, it seems that summer is over and I didn't even get to go camping. In fact I didn't do much this summer. It seems like all I did was work and change diapers. Well wait a minute - it wasn't all that bad. Life really is moving forward and I'm enjoying it. If I ever get pissy about the little stuff, I just have to remember back to what my life was like at a time in the past when I was totally lost (see post called 'musicians & drugs').

So yeah, I'm having a good year. I'm sad for all those whose lives have been directly affected by the hurricane that tore through the gulf. Of course we'll all be indirectly affected, but like I said before, it could be worse.

My wife asked me this morning, "If we had to evacuate suddenly, what would you take?" I replied, "My sax, my reeds (I have lots), and my music books. Period."

So she reproachfully asked why I'd leave Graham (our 18 month old).

Oops.


"Good jazz is when the leader jumps on the piano, waves his arms, and yells. Fine jazz is when a tenorman lifts his foot in the air. Great jazz is when he heaves a piercing note for 32 bars and collapses on his hands and knees. A pure genius of jazz is manifested when he and the rest of the orchestra runaround the room while the rhythm section grimaces and dances around their instruments."
- Mingus

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love what you do!

continue

camsax@gmail.com said...

Thanks Anne-Laure! Hope to see you here again.

De Xin said...

i like jazz too! n oh i do think saxophones are sexy =D btw, how did u manage to get to my blog? till then, have a nice day =)